Ever had BBQ chicken pizza? Maybe an even better question is have you ever had BBQ Pizza? I’d never thought of doing pizza on the grill at home. But, just a few weeks ago I was at a friend’s house and they have a great vegetarian pizza they have been cooking for years. This time, they mentioned they had done it on the grill and I said what the heck, I’d like to try it! Sometimes I forget, if you can cook something in the oven, you can always also cook it on the grill. I just takes a little extra prep or careful monitoring. And, of course, it was great!
I think the secret is still to have a pizza stone that’s well heated up so you get that nice crispy crust. So, before putting the dough on the pizza stone, just like you do when using one in the oven, heat the stone first. Use a little cornmeal on the stone before you put the dough and stretch it on the pizza stone. Then sauce and make your pizza. Takes only 7-8 minutes on a really good and hot grill, just like in an oven.
Now, how do you cook a good BBQ Chicken Pizza on the grill? It’s not that hard, but you have to do a few things differently than you would with most grilling recipes. For example, you’re not going to be able to cook meat directly on your pizza. You can, however, cook it on the grill and then add it to the pizza during the final cooking stage.The recipe here is for a very basic pizza: bread, cheese, and sauce. That may be enough for some of you. How you spice it up yourself is up to you!BBQ Chicken Pizza RecipeIngredients for the BBQ Chicken Pieces:
10 oz boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 3/4 inch pieces or cubes
1 Tbs olive oil
2 tablespoons of your favorite BBQ SauceIngredients for the Pizza:
1 recipe for the Dough (I like to buy it fresh from the market, already made and ready to use)
Cornmeal, semolina, or flour for handling
1/2 cup favorite BBQ sauce (a spicy−sweet sauce works best for BBQ Chicken)
2 Tbs. shredded smoked Gouda cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 small red onion, sliced into 1/8 inch pieces
2 Tbs. chopped fresh chopped fresh cilantro
To make BBQ Chicken:
1. In a large frying pan, cook the chicken in olive oil over medium−high heat until just cooked, 5-6 minutes. Do not overcook. Or, if you want to do it all on the grill, you can cook the chicken on a griddle plate on the grill.
2. Coat the chicken with BBQ sauce; the set aside.
To make pizza:
1. Place the pizza stone in the center of the grill and preheat to 500 degrees F. before cooking pizzas.
2. Use a large spoon to spread BBQ sauce evenly over the surface of the prepared dough within the rim.
3. Sprinkle smoked gouda cheese over the sauce.
4. Cover with 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella.
5. Distribute the chicken pieces evenly over the cheese.
6. Place the pieces of red onion over the surface.
7. Sprinkle an additional 1/4 cup mozzarella over the top of the pizza.
8. Transfer the pizza to the grill; bake until the crust is crisp and golden and the cheese at the center is bubbly, 8 to 10 minutes.
9. When the pizza is cooked, carefully remove it from the grill; sprinkle 1 Tbs. cilantro over the hot surface.
10. Slice and serve.