This delightfully sophisticated Glazed Banana Spice Loaf can be served at a dinner party and it is easy to whip with ingredients typically found in any fridge.
Glazed Banana Spice Loaf.
Makes 1 loaf.
1 LARGE Banana or 3 medium-sized Bananas
4 oz (115 g) butter, at room temperature
5 1/2 oz (150 g) caster sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
7 1/2 oz (215 g) plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda bicarbonate
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
6 fl oz (175 ml) soured cream
1 teaspoon vanilla essence.FOR THE GLAZE.
4 oz (115 g) sugar
1-2 tablespoon lemon juice.Preparations.
1. Preheat a 350 Fahrenheit/ 180 Celsius, Gas 4 oven.
2. Mash the Banana in a bowl, set aside.
3. Use an electric mixer and cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating to blend well after each addition.
4. Sift together the flour, salt, soda bicarbonate, nutmeg, allspice and cloves. Add to the butter mixture and stir until well combined.
5. Add the cream, Banana and vanilla and blend until smooth.
6. Pour into a prepared buttered or well-oiled tin.
7. Bake until the top is springy when touched gently for approximately 45-50 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
8. As for the glaze, combine the icing sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Place the loaf on a plate and gently pour the glaze evenly over the loaf and allow to set.
9. Serve with coffee or tea.
FROM Banana Spice Loaf to Banana Bread Recipes.